Kaduna State Government announced it’s first edition of the Kaduna Marathon, called on all residents of Kaduna State, old or young, male or female, rich and poor, to support Kaduna Runs Marathon scheduled to hold on Saturday, 21st November 2020.
Remarks by Malam Nasir El-Rufai, Governor of Kaduna State, at the formal announcement of the first edition of the Kaduna Marathon, held at the Sir Kashim Ibrahim House, Kaduna, on Saturday, 19th September 2020
1. I am delighted to welcome you to this event. On behalf of the Kaduna State Government, it is my pleasure to announce that the inaugural edition of Kaduna Runs, our state half-marathon, is scheduled to hold on Saturday, 21st November 2020.
2. As a half-marathon, Kaduna Runs is designed as an annual sporting event, creating options for talent development, drawing mass participation, inviting visitors to the state and creating economic benefits. Our hope is that it will also help reinforce Kaduna’s hard-earned reputation as an investment hub. As a fixture on the sporting and social calendars, Kaduna Runs will also attract interested persons to visit our state.
3. The Kaduna State Executive Council has given its approval for the commencement of Kaduna Runs as an annual event, and a compelling idea to bring our people together in a common endeavour. Let us run together. From those seeking the glory of winning a sporting contest, to young persons out to hone their talent in the half-marathon, to citizens who merely want to exercise or meet people or cheer up the runners, there is something for everyone. Participation in Kaduna Runs can also be used to raise funds for charities or to support good causes.
4. We call on all residents of Kaduna State, old or young, male or female, rich and poor, to support Kaduna Runs. The half-marathon is a great experience. It offers a sporting challenge but is at 13 miles less strenuous than a full marathon. As a joyful, voluntary activity, registered runners can drop off at any point in the race whose route passes through the main artery of Kaduna City. In other countries, 90-year olds have run the half-marathon, while others have it used to support charities or attain specific personal goals. Better still, Kaduna Runs is designed as a family and an all inclusive affair as running segments of 5km and 10km are also catered for within the 21km race. Thus, everyone can run or even stroll at his or her pace and level of endurance.
5. We thank the sponsors of the maiden edition for so boldly supporting this initiative. Because of you we can say that Kaduna Runs is fully funded by sponsors and persons that register for participation.
6. Kaduna Runs represents a further initiative in reviving sports in Kaduna State. In 2019, we anchored this responsibility in a new Ministry of Sports Development, which has already staged the Kaduna State Sports Festival. Many more programmes to bring back sports are coming soon.
7. While making this plan to stage Kaduna Runs, we are conscious of the lurking peril of Covid-19. But we are also clear that Covid-19 does not constitute a reason to suspend all planning. As a state, we imposed a 75-day lockdown to help us manage the initial stage of Covid-19 spread in our state.We have since relaxed these tough restrictions to allow the safe pursuit of livelihoods through the exercise of personal responsibility by all residents.
Therefore, while we plan to run the race in safe conditions, we will not hesitate to call off the marathon if our Covid situation compels such. Sport is secondary to life.
8. In the meantime, we would not stand still. We will keep up our plans for Kaduna Runs, with optimism. We invite you to join us in the novel experience and worthy enterprise by registering to participate in the maiden edition of the Kaduna half-marathon. Let us run together!
Thank you for listening.